Miami cruises past in-state foe North Florida

Sophomore guard Lashae Dwyer dribbles the ball down court during Miami's win over the University of North Florida on Sunday, Dec. 4 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

In a battle between two Florida schools, the ‘Canes came out on top, 85-45.

The Hurricanes (7-3) took care of business against the North Florida Ospreys (2-5) to bounce back from two-straight home losses. The most recent defeat came against the No. 17 Michigan Wolverines in a close outing.

Miami was fueled by sophomore Lashea Dwyer, who posted a career-high 20 points and eight steals in a stellar performance off the bench.

“Our bench came in and produced for us. Fifteen assists and 51 points came off the bench,” head coach Katie Meier said. “Lashae is taking command and really understanding that she can be an incredible impact player not only on this team, but also in the ACC.”

Miami totaled 21 assists and made 31 baskets in an efficient shooting performance. The ‘Canes shot 49.2% from the field and 37.5% from behind the arc.

The largest disparity between the two teams was the difference in turnovers. North Florida turned the ball over 30 times to Miami’s 14, resulting in a barrage of scoring opportunities for the Hurricanes.

Miami players cheer on their teammates during the second half of Miami's game versus the University of North Florida on Sunday, Dec. 4 at the Watsco Center.
Miami players cheer on their teammates during the second half of Miami's game versus the University of North Florida on Sunday, Dec. 4 at the Watsco Center. Photo credit: Alexandra Carnochan

At first, the game was neck-and-neck, with both teams exchanging the lead, but eventually, the ‘Canes grabbed the lead on a 3-pointer and did not surrender it from there.

By the end of the first quarter, the Hurricanes were winning by seven, and by halftime, the lead had grown to 22. Miami’s lead grew to 43 before settling at 40 for the final whistle.

Seniors Haley and Hannah Cavender joined Dwyer in double digits with 10 and 11 points, respectively.

The ‘Canes now turn their focus on in-state rival Florida, which has won its past six games. This is the first meeting between the two teams since 2010.

“It has been quite the gauntlet over the last month because you have to get these games in when you can,” Meier said. “We have a lot to work on this week and some skill work to clean up before facing Florida on Sunday.”

Tip-off is set for 4 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 11 at the Watsco Center.