Winter in Miami: 7 fashion trends fit for the heat

www.Pixel.la Free Stock Photos, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

With winter coming closer more people are breaking out their winter clothes, but that doesn’t make sense in the Miami climate, one that’s perpetually humid and hot. Here are seven popular trends right now that won’t make you drop from heat exhaustion.

Embed from Getty Images

Skirt Suits

One of the popular trends gracing the red carpet right now are skirt suits. From designers like Chanel to Thom Browne, the style is being brought back with the main focus being on mini skirts. This style also gives the wearer a chance to play with gender expression and gives an androgynous feel while bringing in a feminine element to balance out the structure. This style is perfect for an upcoming interview to secure that summer internship.

Embed from Getty Images

Gender Neutral Fashion

Unisex looks in general have been on the rise. With stars like Harry Styles and Kristen Stewart popularizing gender neutral fashion and eliminating gender stereotypes, fashion has recently become a more inclusive playing field, perfect for that everyday when you’re going to class and want to dress cozy and casual. Now is the time to explore what gender neutral means in your personal closet.

Embed from Getty Images

Knitwear

Specifically for winter, knitwear has grown popular, but instead of bulky oversized sweaters we’re seeing a rise of pieces like crochet tops and sweater vests. The crochet top trend has become popular on TikTok, with creators like Emily Beaver posting content of her family wearing her designs. Wear this cozy trend on a rainy day for warmth or pair it with something simple for a bold statement.

Embed from Getty Images

Light and Dark Academia

Another trend making its reemergence is light and dark academia. With the rising popularity and return of movies like Clueless, Gossip Girl and recent Netflix film “Do Revenge,” a new wave of nostalgia has emerged for the pleated skirts and collared shirts of the past. This is also perfect for a date night or just going out with friends for a more dressed up look.

Shrugs

Since in fashion, what’s old is new again, not just the school girl look is coming back, but Y2K, early 2000s, fashion has been returning as well. One very popular trend is the shrug, a staple of the early 2000s scene when stars like Ashley Tisdale and Lindsay Lohan were popular on the red carpet. This can give the outfit a more winter-like vibe within the Miami heat, perfect to wear on gloomier days when it gets colder.

Embed from Getty Images

Low Rise Jeans

Another popular Y2K trend coming back is the low rise jean. Similar to the shrug, low rise jeans are another popular staple of 2000s fashion. After years of high rise jeans and mom jeans, the waistline has started to decline. Companies like PacSun and H&M have started producing more and more low rise styles, staying in line with the changing trends. This might be the sign you need to add low rises in your closet for the everyday.

Embed from Getty Images

Sustainable Fashion

The major trend that has taken place in the last couple of years is sustainable shopping. Thrifting and being a conscious shopper have become an important part of the present day. With discussions about sustainability and climate change being so present in the modern day, thrift shopping has become a way to bond with friends and do your part.

The cyclical nature of fashion is definitely true this winter, so wear those low rises and pull that shrug out of your closet.