Canes nab UAB transfer Antonio Moultrie

BIRMINGHAM, AL - OCTOBER 02: UAB Blazers defensive lineman Antonio Moultrie (44) during the game between the UAB Blazers and the Liberty Flames on October 2nd, 2021 and Protective Stadium in Birmingham, Alabama. (Photo by Michael Wade/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

The Hurricanes add much-needed depth on the defensive line with the addition of UAB transfer Antonio Moultrie, who committed to UM Monday evening. He has two years of collegiate eligibility remaining.

Moultrie finished the 2021 season with 55 tackles, eight tackles for loss and two sacks. His finale with the Blazers was especially productive, as Moultrie registered nine tackles and four tackles for loss in the Independence Bowl against No. 13 BYU.

The 6-foot-4, 240-pound rising redshirt senior entered the transfer portal in late December and took an official visit to Miami on Jan. 11.

“On my visit to Miami they made it feel real fun,” Moultrie told the Miami Herald. “Everywhere we went, whoever we visited, it felt like home.”

“When we first got dropped off from breakfast at the hotel, all the coaches were standing by the dorms and began to applaud and cheer,” Moultrie continued. “They made me feel like a priority. Everything about Mario Cristobal and that staff is nice. That type of energy makes you want to play for coaches like that.”

A graduate of West Florida High School in 2016, Moultrie was ranked as the No. 61 player in Florida according to Max Preps. He then attended Northeast Mississippi Community College in 2017 before transferring to UAB.

Moultrie joins Southern California transfer Jacob Lichtenstein as the second defensive lineman to transfer to Miami this offseason.

Previous articleMost anticipated releases of 2022
Next articleWhat’s happening in Miami this spring?
Luke Chaney
Luke Chaney is a sophomore from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. studying journalism and public relations. Chaney joined The Miami Hurricane in the beginning of his freshman year as a sports reporter. His favorite memory reporting on UM Athletics has been covering Miami football spring practice. In addition to his work as Sports Editor, he also writes about the Miami Dolphins for Five Reasons Sports and works as a play-by-play broadcaster at WVUM 90.5 FM. When he's not writing about sports, Chaney loves to play basketball and hang out with friends and family.