‘Hangover Helper’ brings global hangover cures to college students

Lauren Shockey, chef and former restaurant critic for The Village Voice newspaper, just released her second book, “Hangover Helper: Delicious Cures from Around the World," on Oct. 1. Photo credit: Courtesy of Lauren Shockey

Without question, college students— homebodies and party-goers alike— enjoy the occasional drink. Naturally, along with heavy drinking comes the oh-so-unpleasant after effects: hangovers.

Hangover cures have been tested all over the world throughout the course of drinking history. But which one is the most effective? Luckily, there’s a new cookbook to help you test these cures for yourself.

Lauren Shockey, chef and former restaurant critic for The Village Voice newspaper, just released her second book: “Hangover Helper: Delicious Cures from Around the World.”

Use This Photo.jpg
"Yaka Mein," a Chinese-Creole soup native to New Orleans, usually consists of stewed beef in a beef-based broth served on top of noodles and garnished with half a hard-boiled egg. Photo credit: Courtesy of Lauren Shockey

“Hangover Helper,” which came out Oct. 1, is an illustrated collection of 50 global hangover recipes. The cookbook contains favorites such as the American bacon, egg and cheese to “Yaka Mein,” a Chinese-Creole soup from New Orleans.

Each of the food and drink recipes— yes, there are drink recipes for those who like to combat their hangovers with more alcohol— are illustrated with colorful images. There are short blurbs for each recipe, describing the culture from which the hangover cure originates. Put simply, it is the ideal cookbook companion for the average college student.

Shockey’s inspiration for “Hangover Helper” started at home in New York City. After reading in an article that each region in South Korea has their own version of “haejangguk,” or hangover soup, as an antidote to their high alcohol consumption, she became more interested in learning more about hangover cures the world has to offer.

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 23.24.04.png
"Hangover Helper" includes recipes like this one, simple to make and proven to ease the effects of an active night out. Photo credit: Courtesy of Lauren Shockey

In New York City, where many cultural groups are represented, it is not uncommon to be immersed in international food cultures. Shockey describes this as a catalyst for her second literary journey.

“I would talk to other people from other countries about what they eat when they’re hungover,” Shockey said. “And I thought: ‘Oh, maybe there’s a book idea here.’”

Shockey says her main focus for “Hangover Helper” was to make it accessible to the average home cook. There are many college-friendly recipes, like the “Pepperoni Pizza Bagel” and “Indian Chili Cheese Toast” that can be made on a stovetop in under fifteen minutes.

“You can make a lot of these breakfast foods pretty easily at home,” Shockey said. “You don’t need to go out or order in to have great hangover fare.”

Hangover Helper is available on shelves at Barnes and Noble and online through Amazon.

To learn more about Hangover Helper or Lauren Shockey, visit www.laurenshockey.com.