Fall sports coming to a close as basketball tips off

Men’s Basketball

The Hurricanes stormed past the Barry Buccaneers 91-61 in an exhibition game Oct. 30 at the Watsco Center.

Forward Dewan Hernandez finished with a double-double, tallying 19 points and 10 rebounds, leading six Canes in double digits.

“Coach stressed offensive balance,” Hernandez said. “He wants buckets from all over the place.”

Guards Zach Johnson and DJ Vasiljevic both notched 17 points, respectively, while Anthony Lawrence II stuffed the stat sheet with 11 points, eight rebounds and a game-high eight assists.

Ebuka Izundu tallied 13 points and Chris Lykes chipped in 10 points to round out the sextuplet of Hurricanes in double figures.

“We’ve really been working with a seven man starting group,” Miami coach Jim Larrañaga said. “We’re gonna rotate the seven in and out of the starting lineup throughout the season.”

UM will tipoff its season against the Lehigh Mountain Hawks 7 p.m. Nov. 9 at the Watsco Center.

Women’s Basketball

Miami dominated the Nova Southeastern Sharks 91-67 in an exhibition affair Oct. 29 at the Watsco Center.

Senior Emese Hof led all scorers with 30 points on 14 of 15 shooting. Fellow forward Beatrice Mompremier registered a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds.

After being sideline 19 months because of injury, guard Laura Cornelius returned to the hardwood. The redshirt junior scored 13 points.

“It was a special game for me, a special moment,” Cornelius said. “I wasn’t really nervous, but it was really special. I was really excited. We played well. I got to scored again. I got to pass again, run through the smoke again, this time in a jersey, not in a sweatsuit.”

Miami begins its season against crosstown foe Florida International University 7 p.m. Nov. 6 at the Ocean Bank Arena.

Golf

Junior Renate Grimstad finished in second place at the Jim West Challenge in San Marcos, Texas.

Grimstad ended with a career-low nine-under-par, 207, including 16 birdies and an eagle.

The Hurricanes racked up an overall score of 877 and placed ninth in the tournament. The Jim West Challenge was hosted by Texas State University at the Kissing Tree Golf Club.

Miami will pick up its season in 2019 at the Florida Challenge hosted by the University of South Florida Jan. 28 in Tampa, Florida.

Swimming and Diving

The Hurricanes ended their final home match of 2018 with two dual-meet victories against the Boston College Eagles and the Florida Atlantic University Owls.

Miami started the meet with a win in the 200-yard medley with a time of 1:45.59.

Then, junior Manon Viguier and sophomore Carmen San Nicolas took the top two spots in the 200-yard freestyle.

The Hurricanes will face off against the Purdue Boilermakers as a part of the ACC/ BIG 10 Challenge Nov. 10 at the Morgan J. Burke Aquatic Center.

Women’s Tennis

Lucia Marzal Martinez was the only Hurricane to compete in the Lawrence $25K. The Valencia, Spain, native, who is ranked No. 959 in the world, played as an amateur in the qualifying draw.

Marzal Martinez fell, 0-6, 3-6, to No. 11-seed Emma Navarro at the Jayhawk Tennis Center.

The freshman wrapped up her fall season with an 8-6 singles mark and a 5-4 doubles record.

Volleyball

Miami dropped both of its games on the road against Louisville and Notre Dame.

On Nov. 2, Miami fell to No. 24 Louisville, 3-1. Despite taking the first set, the Hurricanes couldn’t regain their lead losing to the Cardinals, 25-21, 20-25, 19-25, 22-25.

Senior Kolby Bird led the team with 13 kills while redshirt sophomore Elizaveta Lukianova notched 11 kills and three blocks.

Then on Nov. 4, the Canes were swept by the Fighting Irish, 3-0. This was the fifth time Miami has been swept this season. This was Notre Dame’s 11th shutout of the year, defeating the Hurricanes, 25-16, 25-22, 25-22.

Setter Haley Templeton totaled 29 assists and nine digs, one dig shy of a double-double.

Miami (13-8, 9-5 ACC) will look to end its two-game losing streak against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons 6:30 p.m. Nov. 9 at the Reynolds Gymnasium.