Cane remembered for devotion

Longtime UM trustee and Miami Hurricanes enthusiast Nicholas “Nick” Crane passed away Sept. 30, 2013. He was 90.

Crane came to the university in 1949 as a student and received his bachelor and law degrees in 1951 and 1953, respectively.

He dedicated himself to his alma mater by giving his time and resources.

“Nick Crane was thoughtful, smart and just plain nice,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala in a statement. “He never gave up on his community or his beloved Canes. He will be missed.”

He was elected to UM’s Board of Trustees in 1986 and was named a senior trustee in 1998. During his 27 years on the board, he served on various committees, including executive, academic affairs, finance, investments, student affairs and he chaired the athletic advisory from 1990 to 1993.

Crane was a member of the UM Hospital Board of Governors and served on the visiting committees of the College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business Administration, Communication, Law, and Nursing and Health Studies.

Crane was a member of the George E. Merrick Giving Society. He continually gave support to many university initiatives, including athletics, the BankUnited Center and the School of Business Administration. The Della Crane Classroom at the Graduate School of Business Administration is named in memory of his late wife.

Crane is survived by two children, who are also Hurricanes, Lisa A. Crane (B.A. ‘87) and Nicholas A. Crane Jr. (B.A. ‘79), and his granddaughter, Rachel Reyes.

The university will hold a memorial service in Crane’s honor at the Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center at 2 p.m. on Oct. 25.

Previous articleArchitecture students archive history, win honorable mention
Next articleNews Briefs 10/10
Ashley Martinez
Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.