Bling, Bling, and more Bling: Rap Artists Strut their stuff

The Convocation Center may have been home to Winnie the Pooh and Bob the Builder last year, but it seems as though it finally realized what sells tickets: hip-hop stars, and lots of them. Miami’s own hip-hop and R&B radio station WMIB 103.5 The Beat, pulled some major strings and got a first class line-up for their Beat Down concert.

The line-up ranged from Ja Rule and Ashanti to the Ying Yang Twins and Trick Daddy. Chart topper Kanye West closed the over four-hour show, which also included performances from T.O.K, 8Ball & MJG, and Fat Joe with the infamous Terror Squad. Petey Pablo was a no show, but I doubt anybody really noticed or cared.

For the first time since it’s opening, the Convocation Center had a sold out concert, filled to capacity with eager concert goers. Unfortunately, seeing as the show took place in the middle of the summer (June 27 to be exact) when most students were far, far away from campus, the crowd lacked the typical drunk sorority girl/wannabe rappers that one would expect. Instead, there was a lot of blinding bling, both on and off stage and the not- so-faint aroma of marijuana. The show, to say the least, had one of the best line-ups and performances showcased at the Convocation Center. Judging by the crowd, all in attendance would agree.

On Friday, Sept. 3, the Convocation Center hopes to continue its luck with the Hip-Hop Explosion featuring Twista and Jadakiss. Although I doubt it will draw quite as big a crowd as the Beat Down, it will hopefully surpass Bob the Builder.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.