Campus Calendar and News Briefs

TODAY
At noon in Whitten Learning Center Room 130, Communication Week continues with Alternative Career Opportunities for Communication Students.

Don’t forget to vote for Student Government elections in the UC Breezeway from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The last day to vote is Wednesday.

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 25

Don’t miss your chance to attend a photography session with Peter Howe at 1:40 p.m. in the Whitten Learning Center Room 130.

The Toppel Career Center and Student Activities & Leadership Programs present Job Smarts for Twenty Somethings at 6 p.m. in Storer Auditorium. Join Bradley Richardson for this presentation on landing your dream job, how to make connections, how to be a leader and more! Mr. Richardson has shared his Job Smarts with thousands of students, job seekers and career changers through his lectures and the media, including Good Morning America, USA Today, Fast Company and Rolling Stone.

Communication Week continues at 3 p.m. in the Whitten Learning Center Room 130. Attend the session Media Management: Challenges and Opportunities.

WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 26

Don’t miss your chance to vote for Student Government elections from 10 p.m. to 5 p.m.

The Women’s Resource Center and the Counseling Center are sponsoring a student production of The Vagina Monologues at 7 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. The Vagina Monologues, which was first performed off-Broadway by Eve Ensler, dives into the mystery, humor, pain, power, wisdom, outrage and excitement buried in women’s experiences. The play is a part of V-Day, a global movement to end violence against women, and proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to SafeSpace, a shelter for women and children affected by domestic violence. Ticket may be purchased in the UC room 236 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, call 305-284-5646.

Arthur Levitt, former Chairman of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, will speak at 3 p.m. in the Storer Auditorium. Levitt, the longest serving Chairman of the SEC, will discuss his book, Take on the Street: What Wall Street and Corporate America Don’t Want You to Know – What You Can Do to Fight Back. The event is free and open to the public. For more information or to RSVP, call 305-284-4052 or email lcrego@miami.edu. Refreshments will follow the presentation.

Don’t miss your chance to see a screening of El Presidio: The Trip Back, a new documentary by UM professor Rafael Lima about Cuba’s political prisons, at 7 p.m. in the Bill Cosford Cinema in the Memorial Building.

Come celebrate African Heritage, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Pearson Residential College classroom. There will be a free sampling of Caribbean and African Cuisine; talks by Dr. Robin Bachin titled Race, Politics, and Popular Culture in Jazz Age Chicago and Dr. Edmund Abaka on Threads that Bind: The African Diaspora in a Global Perspective; and African dancing by the African Student Union. The evening is free of charge and is sponsored by United Black Students, African Student Union, UM Apartment Area, Council of International Students Organization, Phi Alpha Theta, The History Club and the History Department.

THURSDAY FEBRUARY 27

Internships in Communication: Jobs in Communication will be presented at 3 p.m. in the Whitten Learning Center Room 130 as part of Communication Week.

Don’t miss The Vagina Monologues’ second and last night at 7 p.m. in Storer Auditorium. For more information contact 305-284-5646.

The FBI is hosting an info session at 4 p.m. in the Toppel Library. Internships are available as well as full-time positions. Full-time critical needs areas include: all foreign languages, computer science, MIS, all engineering majors and the physical sciences, as well as accounting and finance. RSVP by signing up on CaneTRAK.

The UM chapter of STRIKE (Student Tobacco Reform Initiative: Knowledge for Eternity) is sponsoring free nicotine patches and gum at the Student Health Center. Supplies are limited. For more information, contact 305-284-6524.

With spring break right around the corner, you cannot help but think about suntans, good times and many memories. However, spring break can also be a nightmare if you do not take the proper precautions wile vacationing. Safe Spring Break Week, celebrated Feb. 26 through March 5, equips students with knowledge to protect themselves during spring break. Various Student Affairs departments are participating in the week, including PHATE, PIER 21, the Wellness Center, the Women’s Resource Center and the Student Counseling Center. For more information contact 305-284-6524.

Portals such as Yahoo! and Excite make it easier for us to find the information we are looking for on the Web. The University of Miami is working on creating a portal that will make it easier for you to accomplish the things you need to do while you are a student at UM. Please take the time to visit http://www.miami.edu/portalsurvey and answer a few questions to help us prioritize our initiatives.

Chevrolet presents the Spring Break Turner Bash on March 21 and 22 at the Plaza Resort and Spa in Daytona Beach. Don’t miss the car show, bikini contest and PS2 gaming challenge. For more information check out www.eurotuner.com, or www.showoffcafe.com.

Visions of Empire: Picturing the Conquest in Colonial Mexico will be on view at the Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami, from March 6 through April 27. The exhibition is a series of eight 17th century paintings depicting the Conquest of Mexico from the Jay I. Kislak Foundation. The large works are outstanding examples of Mexican colonial art. One of only three such series of paintings known to survive, these rare works will be exhibited in the United States for the first time. In addition to the paintings, the exhibit will feature selected artwork related to Aztec and Colonial Mexico, including a selection of rare manuscripts, documents, art objects and artifacts that reveal the indigenous cultures thriving in the Americas until their defeat by Spanish conquerors in the early 16th century.
Professors Margaret Jackson, Rebecca Brienen, Tracy Ardren, and Martha Few of the College of Arts and Sciences, University of Miami, are curators of the exhibition. In conjunction with the exhibition, the University of Miami and the Jay I. Kislak Foundation will be hosting a symposium for the community, Invasion and Transformation: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Images of the Conquest of Mexico, on March 22 and 23 at the Storer Auditorium. The event is free and open to the public. For more information on the symposium, contact 305-284-2006.